Be Sure to Click on OLDER POSTS at the bottom of the page to see more! Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It is what it is.....

I recently took 2 of my children and 1 friend to the movies. An activity I did often as a child. We purchased our tickets ahead of time, which cost $55. I thought that was a bit pricey but acceptable. Before we arrived we made a quick stop at our local Dollar General to get all the necessities like lemon heads, chocolate covered raisins, sweet tarts..you know the necessities. We also got G2 which was on sale for only 80 cents each. Our total is now up to $75. I promised the kids each a small popcorn when we arrived which came to..brace yourself...$25. YES $25! It took that boy 30 seconds to fill 4 small bags and turn around to hand them to us. 1 trip to the movies has now cost me $100. Where am I going with this you ask..... My cakes start at $50 and delivery is $20. After you deduct the cost for all supplies..ALL supplies.. including things like butter, sugar, flour, vanilla, sour cream, eggs, milk, oil, cardboard bases, aluminum foil, straws, marshmallows, powdered sugar, gumpaste, food coloring, etc. etc. I could go on for quite a long time. My point is I put hours of time into a cake. Hours of coloring fondant, crumb coating, covering in fondant, making decorations, decorating, delivering.. It made me realize just how hard I work and just how little I earn. I am so lucky to do what I love but I've also come to the realization that some people just don't understand or appreciate the time and effort that goes into a cake. It's time for change or atleast some adjustments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment